The Flex Belt is based on EMS or Electrical Muscle Stimulation and supposedly firms and tones your abdominal muscles but does it really work to do that or is it just a lot of hype? Here is my honest unbiased review on The Flex Belt.
Product: The Flex Belt
Best Place to buy: Amazon
Manufacturer: Slendertone a division of Bio-Medical Research Ltd. located in Galway,Ireland.
The Flex Belt was approved by the FDA in 2015 for toning, strengthening and firming the abdominal muscles.
Positive Clinical Trial
There was a clinical trial in which the results were very positive on The Flex Belt being able to firm, tighten and tone the abdominal area of the subject.
The trial was conducted by Dr. John Porcari, PHD – Professor of Exercise and Sports Medicine at the University of Wisconsin.
The Key Points of the Clinical Trial:
- Electrical muscle stimulation (EMS) was effective in increasing muscle strength and endurance
- All subjects perceived their abdominal muscles to be firmer and more toned as a result of EMS
- Abdominal and waist girth was also significantly reduced, despite no changes in body weight or subcutaneous fat
The clinical Trial also had positive outcomes from the participants with a questionnaire where all of the participants felt like their abdominal muscles were more toned and firm.
Listen to Dr. Porcari’s experience. Note when he talks about the “Ramped” contraction:
Medical Grade Gel Pads
The gel pads that you place on your body are very important as they help conduct the current and are important in comfort also. These are the types of pads that are used by Physical Therapists when they use Electrical Stimulation to help their injured patients rehabilitate. In fact, the technology is exactly the same electrical stimulation for muscles as used in The Flex Belt.
You can use The Flex Belt to firm and tone your abs whether you are an avid exerciser, a professional athlete or just someone who wants to firm their abs without too much trouble.
Don’t have time to exercise? Use The Flex Belt on that day.
You may have a sore back or you may be wanting to just add an extra ab workout to your routine.
Remember, you will get a level of toning and firmness with The flex Belt alone, but with diet and exercise, you can go even further. It does work however without any exercise to strengthen, tone and firm your abdominal muscles. It will not make you use weight by itself. You lose weight with a good diet and exercise.
There are some precautions to take however. Do not use if you are pregnant, or if you have a heart condition or pacemaker. Do not use it on your head, around your heart or neck where your carotid arteries are located. The FDA has regulated the use of these types of devices and it is important to only use FDA approved devices.
Features and Specifications
- FDA Medical grade technology
- Stimulates all major muscles at the same time (upper abs, lower abs, and obliques)
- Clinically demonstrated to work within a few weeks
- Comfortable to wear and use
- Rechargeable Battery
- Battery is outside of the belt
- Convenient for someone just starting to work out
- Also helps sore muscles or back pain
- 10 programs and 150 intensity levels
Customer Reviews and Scores
The Flex Belt has an overall rating of 3.7/5 out of 788 reviews.
Out of 788 reviews, 61% were 5 star
There were some complaints with the Customer service.
For this problem, I would deal directly with Amazon ans they have excellent customer service. It is also best to be patient and not give up when dealing with any company that has poor customer service.
Here is a sampling:
On the positive side:
I do recommend The Flex Belt for strengthening and toning and firming the abdominal area. The Science is there and I have seen it work first hand as a Certified Rehab Nurse. This same medical technology has been used in the Physical Therapy Field for over 30 years and is effective in strengthening, firming and toning muscles.
Pros and Cons
- Proved Safe through Clinical Trials and is approved by the FDA.
- Comfortable to use and lightweight to wear while doing light activities.
- Customized training programs and intensity levels.
- Reaches the hard to reach Oblique muscles.
- Good for those that are recovering from injury or illness.
- Increases core strength and balance.
- Helps with back pain and/or sore muscles.
- Can be used for 30 minutes 5 days a week for up to 6 weeks for improvement .
- Great to use when you don’t have time to exercise.
- 2 year warranty.
- Gel pads loose their stickiness with extended use.
- May be considered “pricey” compared to others but is more durable.
- Does not work really well for obese individuals as they have too many layers of fat for a good contraction.
- Does not cause weight loss but does firm and tone.
- Works on the upper and lower ab muscles and the obliques but not the deeper muscles that exercising can reach.
The Flex Belt is an Electrical Muscle Stimulation device that strengthens, firms and tones your abdominal muscles. It is manufactured by Slendertone and is an upgraded version of Slendertone ab belts.
Slendertone has been manufacturing EMS devices for over 50 years. The battery pack is rechargeable and is located outside of the belt.
It has more programs (10) and intensity levels (150) than all of the Slendertone belts other than the ABs 7 (which also has 10 programs and 150 intensity level). The Flex Belt is a more durable high quality and it is sized for both men and women.
I hope you enjoyed reading my review on the Flex Belt. If you have experience with the Flex Belt and would like to leave a review I would love it. Also, if you have any questions or comments on this post, please leave me a comment below. I respond within 24 hrs.